Permutation Builder

Permutation Builder

Postby Gatsby » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi Stan,

Once i have proposed to you the implementation of a "Permutations Builder". This is under item 14 in Mantis. I still believe this is a way to increment the power of filtering particular combinations in Euromillions. With enough transformations rules apllied to and only to the last draw you could in practice eliminate securely from 3 to 5 numbers from being simultaneously drawn, with each rule. This could help to quickly reduce a full package to a package populated with numbers more probable to outcome.

The strategy is (hopefully) well explained in Mantis. I havent been using it much because is just to time consuming after each draw aplly more than 100 transformations (where some numbers are mantained and others are changed individually or as a group, with a logic) create a file and then filter accordingly. An interface that would generate automaticaly this new set of groups would be highly aprreciated.

This interface just needs to be prepared to introduce more rules and aplly the transformations to the last draw, create a set with the results and filter with user acordance: 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 numbers from each created new line (v.g the numbers resulting from the transformed last draw). Just to call your attention, a transformed line could even have repeated numbers. Applying symmetry a lot of rules can be applied wich in turn result is sets with no numbers repeating while other may repeat, etc, but all of this really is indifferent as for the the implementation of the interface, which is merelly a window for introducing the rules and apply the results as a filter. As we do with number groups..

Please take it into consideration.

Best regards,

Gats.
Gatsby

Re: Permutation Builder

Postby Gatsby » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi Stan,

Did you had the opportunity to consider the implementation of this feature. I understand it may not be the most requested implementation here, but it would cover an aspect which would turn what is already a very comprehensive software to something even more versatile. And add a new atribute to EL that could be advertised as well....i know i´m persecuting my interest here, but nevertheless this would be a new relevant options for those who care about permutations and seek a program to do that.

My idea is that this feature is not a filter as "blind" as (for instance) "sum root" that reduces very much a package but maintains a equivalent proportions of numbers is the package . This tool would reduce a package to most probable set of numbers to be drawn and in that sense create a different hierarquy from what we have with other what i call "Blind" filters, which are only efective if your package is already biased to a right proportion of numbers most probable to outcome.

So, is there any possibility for you to be so kind as to include this in your todo list or implementating in a nearby future?

Many Thanks,
Gatsby

Postby stan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:02 pm

I've just reviewed that Mantis and it seems I had some understanding what you're proposing but right now I'm not that sure anymore:)

Let's say the latest winning numbers are 10-20-30-40-50
One of the possible transformations are e.g. 11-21-31-41-51, i.e. neighboring numbers. Now what the application should do with the transformed numbers? Keep only such tickets in the package? Filter them out? Use strict matching (i.e. Match 5 only) when comparing it with package tickets?

Another possible transformation is 'both neighbors'. That means 10 gets transformed to 9 and 11, 20 gets transformed to 19 and 21 etc. Should the filter look only at two tickets 9-19-29-39-49 and 11-21-31-41-51 or should all combinations of such numbers be evaluated?

I presume the list of transformation rules would be the same after each draw, correct?
For example:
Rule #1: Number1 -> Number1+1, Number2 -> Number2+1...
Rule #2: Number1 -> Number1-1 OR Number1+1, Number2 -> Number2-1 OR Number2+1 ...
etc

If I were to implement an user interface to create such a list of rule then it would be a lot of work. But perhaps it would be possible to implement some sort of text file scanner that would read the list of rules in a well-defined syntax and then either do the filtering or produce the list of 'mutated' tickets...
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Gatsby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi Stan,

In first place let me thank you for give the attention to this implementation.

Now, about your understanding that "Let's say the latest winning numbers are 10-20-30-40-50
One of the possible transformations are e.g. 11-21-31-41-51, i.e. neighboring numbers. Now what the application should do with the transformed numbers? Keep only such tickets in the package? Filter them out? Use strict matching (i.e. Match 5 only) when comparing it with package tickets?"

The answer to this question is yes, filter them out using strict matching when comparing it with package tickets, with the option to filter from 1 to x tickets with matching transformed numbers.

About "both neighbors", that does not seems necessary. And anyway someone can allways create two rules to cover that situation.

About "I presume the list of transformation rules would be the same after each draw, correct? " . The answer to this question is yes. After the rule is saved it doesn´t change. the only thing that changes is the last draw - for this is to be apllied only to the last draw - and consequently the new list of transformed numbers for use as a filter.

As for " perhaps it would be possible to implement some sort of text file scanner that would read the list of rules in a well-defined syntax and then either do the filtering or produce the list of 'mutated' tickets". I think that either could be generated a file (CSV or Text) we could use afterwards in a match file filter or it could go for the filtering immediactly.

So, what is really necessary is a interface to:

- create and allow to add in the future new rules of transformation for 50 numbers in each single transformation case (note here that is the user that fixes the transformation rule as he pleases. The program doesn´t have to have any pre-established transformations, just has to memorize the rules;

- a way to generate the transformed numbers into a file/list (wich will have as much lines as the number of rules created, each line with 5 transformed numbers (in case of euromillions)) from wich we will filter from match 0 to match 5. For instance, if match 4 and match 5 are selected, then for each line whenever there are 4 or 5 equal numbers in the package combinations, those tickets will be eliminated from package.

Of course the more automatic this could be the better: not considering the process of creating and saving new rules, the filtering could become automatic to join others in a complex filter that would be perfect. Could simply be a "Transformations filter". But an interface manager to create a csv or file text to use in a match file filter would also be fine.

Thanks, and best wishes for this new year.
This

Please give feedback as for the clarification.
Gatsby

Postby stan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:16 pm

Gatsby wrote:Hi Stan,

In first place let me thank you for give the attention to this implementation.

Now, about your understanding that "Let's say the latest winning numbers are 10-20-30-40-50
One of the possible transformations are e.g. 11-21-31-41-51, i.e. neighboring numbers. Now what the application should do with the transformed numbers? Keep only such tickets in the package? Filter them out? Use strict matching (i.e. Match 5 only) when comparing it with package tickets?"

The answer to this question is yes, filter them out using strict matching when comparing it with package tickets, with the option to filter from 1 to x tickets with matching transformed numbers.

About "both neighbors", that does not seems necessary. And anyway someone can allways create two rules to cover that situation.

About "I presume the list of transformation rules would be the same after each draw, correct? " . The answer to this question is yes. After the rule is saved it doesn´t change. the only thing that changes is the last draw - for this is to be apllied only to the last draw - and consequently the new list of transformed numbers for use as a filter.

As for " perhaps it would be possible to implement some sort of text file scanner that would read the list of rules in a well-defined syntax and then either do the filtering or produce the list of 'mutated' tickets". I think that either could be generated a file (CSV or Text) we could use afterwards in a match file filter or it could go for the filtering immediactly.

So, what is really necessary is a interface to:

I wasn't thinking about any interface for the rule management. My idea is a plain text file that an user would edit manually in any text editor - hence the need for well defined syntax of the transformation rules.

- create and allow to add in the future new rules of transformation for 50 numbers in each single transformation case (note here that is the user that fixes the transformation rule as he pleases. The program doesn´t have to have any pre-established transformations, just has to memorize the rules;

Why 50 numbers? Why not just those 5 latest numbers?

- a way to generate the transformed numbers into a file/list (wich will have as much lines as the number of rules created, each line with 5 transformed numbers (in case of euromillions)) from wich we will filter from match 0 to match 5. For instance, if match 4 and match 5 are selected, then for each line whenever there are 4 or 5 equal numbers in the package combinations, those tickets will be eliminated from package.

Do you want to have separate 'Match x' settings for each transformation rule or should those match settings apply to all transformed tickets?

Of course the more automatic this could be the better: not considering the process of creating and saving new rules, the filtering could become automatic to join others in a complex filter that would be perfect. Could simply be a "Transformations filter". But an interface manager to create a csv or file text to use in a match file filter would also be fine.

It would be probably faster to have a filter that applies the transformation rules on the fly instead of generating transformed tickets and then compare those with package tickets.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Gatsby » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your ready reply.

I Wish i could better express what i´m trying to expose.

"Why 50 numbers? Why not just those 5 latest numbers?"

Well, this is the exact point, because you just look at the last five numbers from the last draw, but those numbers can be any numbers from 1 to 50 (wich are the main numbers from Euromillions). So, for these set of 5 numbers we need theirs transformations into other numbers from 1 to 50. So, each transformation "rule" has allways 50 transformations.

Example:

Transformation rule number 1 (the simplest case: each number converts to itself

1-1
2-2
50-50.

In these case whatever numbers are drawn in the last draw, they are kept the same, and we filter all the combinations in the package with that numbers acocordingly. If the set with transformations would be composed of only this rule, then matching 5 would remove all the combinations matching 5 numbers from the last draw.

Then a second rule:

1-2
2-3
3-4

50-1

In this case all numbers drawn in the last draw will be converted from odds to evens and from evens to odds. If in the last draw the numbers were 12,15,27,35,40 then the transformed draw will be 13,16,28,35,41. If the matching five numbers match remove option would be maintained, then all the combinations with 13,16,28,35,41 would be removed from package.

Then a third rule;

1-3
2-2
3-5
4-4
5-7
49-1
50-50

In this case, all even numbers would be maitained and all the odds would change between themselves. Again, for the same last draw as in the previous exemple 12,15,27,35,40 the transformed draw would be 12,17,29,37,40.

What i discovered is that normally from this transformations and other i created is that normally no more than 3 numbers are drawn from each of these
transformated set (each one transformation corresponding to a line in a transformated set). This can help me to populate the package with more probable numbers to outcome)

As for the "Do you want to have separate 'Match x' settings for each transformation rule or should those match settings apply to all transformed tickets?", it should apply to all transformed "tickets" or what is the same all the derived combinations from the last draw.

And for "It would be probably faster to have a filter that applies the transformation rules on the fly instead of generating transformed tickets and then compare those with package tickets", i agree tottaly.

I hope i could make it clear what is that i´m looking for, because i need a way to introduce the transformations and save them. It just takes, for each rule to be created, a board with 1 to 50 numbers with a empty square in front of each number to convert into another number. Then save the rule under some name, then aks "Do you want to save more transformation rules?" if yes, then another identical window/board with 1 to 50 numbers with correponding spaces ahead to introduce the transformed number, save this as a 2nd rule, etc, etc. The filter part would read the last draw main numbers, apply each of the transformation rules, and use the result to filter. Maybe this imply the creation of a file ( where each line would correspond to the application of a rule of transformation) to filter from package, or maybe just a temporary file just to as you say "applies the transformation rules on the fly" and compare them to with the package tickets. Either way it is necessary a interface to create and save the transformation rules.

I let to your best judgement the better way to achieve this. Maybe i didn´t understand what you meant by the use of a file text. Are you suggesting a file with some indications as i refered up is enough, like
# Tranformation rule 1
1-1
2-2
50-50

#Transformation 2
1-2
2-3
49-50
50-1

If this is the case i much prefer an interface like the one we use with "Numbers Group" , inside EL, which allow us to create and manage numbers groups. The difference in here is that instead of "Number Groups" we would have "Tranformation Rules" (or something else that you might prefer to cal them).

But i must stress that if you manage to indicate a way to achieve this with a text file with the appropriate syntax, if it is also simple and ready to use in a filter, if that is easier, you could provided it and we see how it works from there.

Many thanks,
Regards
Gatsby

Postby Gatsby » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi Stan,

In reference to my previous post i must add that the comparison between tikets in the package and transformed tickets must accept numbers in any order, because same transformations give origin to this situation. For instance 12, 43, 1, 28, 4 etc, etc...
Gatsby

Postby stan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Ok, understood. So you want to define transformation rule for each pool number.

I was thinking of rules based on ticket positions to implement rule for example "remove tickets where number at the first position increased by one and number at the second position decreased by two and number at the third position remained the same and... " - all being compared to the latest drawn numbers. But perhaps that could be separate filter builder - if there's even interest in this kind of tool.

As for the user interface for your pool-wide transformation rules - I'd rather not do that. It would be a lot of work. You can have a simple Excel sheet with as many two-row tables as you want. The top row of each table will be original pool numbers, the lower row will be your transformed numbers. Then if you export that sheet to a CSV file you'd get an input file that filter build could process easily.

What do you think?
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Gatsby » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:23 am

Hi Stan,

You mean something like:

#Rule1

1 2 3 4 ...... 50
2 4 6 8 ........x

# Rule2

1 2 3 4 ...... 50
2 4 6 8 ........x

#Rule 3,
etc etc

This is would do fine in my opinion. After the transformation/permutation rules are defined we just have to use this same file to every last draw and filter.
Can you give too an example of how the excell page should look?

Thanks!
Gatsby

Postby stan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:06 pm

An example spreadsheet is attached. When you choose Save As - CSV format it will look like the other attached file which the permutation builder can parse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Gatsby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi Stan,

I guess it can be a csv or a texto file, right? So, yes, it is perfectly fine. I will just have to write down the rules.

Thanks,
Gatsby

Postby stan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:03 am

Ok, I think I can prototype something quite quickly.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Gatsby » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:00 am

Allright Stan,

Looking forward to start experimenting.

Thanks a lot.
Gatsby

Postby Gatsby » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:53 pm

stan wrote:Ok, understood. So you want to define transformation rule for each pool number.

I was thinking of rules based on ticket positions to implement rule for example "remove tickets where number at the first position increased by one and number at the second position decreased by two and number at the third position remained the same and... " - all being compared to the latest drawn numbers. But perhaps that could be separate filter builder - if there's even interest in this kind of tool.

I guess we are allways interested in new tools and this might be a good idea also. And after some usage there allways be place for improvement.

As for the user interface for your pool-wide transformation rules - I'd rather not do that. It would be a lot of work. You can have a simple Excel sheet with as many two-row tables as you want. The top row of each table will be original pool numbers, the lower row will be your transformed numbers. Then if you export that sheet to a CSV file you'd get an input file that filter build could process easily.

What do you think?[/quote]
Gatsby

Postby stan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:30 am

So the first cut of the new 'Pool Permutations' filter is available in 'Experimental plugins' updates. Let me know how it works for you.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Comments, suggestions, feature requests