Problems with Number Distance filter

Problems with Number Distance filter

Postby Jerzy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:52 am

Hi Stan,

I am using EL Build 807 and I noticed that Number Distance filter does not filter out any tickets if there is number 1 on the first position in the line which denotes the size of the distance (e.g. distance from 1 to 25) if the filter is set to the Leave option. If I put a different number at the first position some tickets are filterd out, but I am not sure whether it is done correctly.

If I use Remove option the filter works correctly.

The Distance Filter can be enhanced by including a possibilty of filtering out from the package the tickets with excessive number of the same (or identical) distances. E.g. lines with 5 identical distances never occurred in the history of my Australian Saturday Lotto and 4 the same distances occur uncommonly.

It is also possible to include the 6th distance or actualy a difference between the 6th and 1st number, the difference between 45 or 49 and 1 being 1, like the difference between 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock which is 1 hour. After that the distances or differences could be sorted in ascending order, and statistics regarding the minimal and maximal value for each of the six possible differences calculated. Subsequently, values in the package could be compared with appropriate values in the winning lines history and if they never occurred in the history of game, they could be filtered out.

What do you think of it, Stan? I would appreciate if you could implement these enhancements.

Regards

Jerzy
Jerzy

Discrepancy between two winning number history statistics

Postby Jerzy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:34 am

Hi Stan.

I forgot to mention about another problem I have noticed.

When I put into the Package all winning lines from the game history and open Package Statistics, the data pertaining to the Sums, Differences, StDev(diff), WNH Odd/Even are entirely different from the respective values presented in the WNH History tables, even though in both places, as a basis for calculating statistics, there are the same winning lines, arranged in the same order.

If it is normal, please explain why.

Regards

Jerzy
Jerzy

Postby stan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:59 am

[quote=Jerzy]
I am using EL Build 807 and I noticed that Number Distance filter does not filter out any tickets if there is number 1 on the first position in the line which denotes the size of the distance (e.g. distance from 1 to 25) if the filter is set to the Leave option. If I put a different number at the first position some tickets are filterd out, but I am not sure whether it is done correctly.

If I use Remove option the filter works correctly.
[/quote]
i tried that and it seems to be working for me. do you have an example ticket which the filter fails to filter correctly?
also, there's no difference between matching tickets leave / remove - it's just the negation of the filter result.

The Distance Filter can be enhanced by including a possibilty of filtering out from the package the tickets with excessive number of the same (or identical) distances. E.g. lines with 5 identical distances never occurred in the history of my Australian Saturday Lotto and 4 the same distances occur uncommonly.

yes, i can add this

It is also possible to include the 6th distance or actualy a difference between the 6th and 1st number, the difference between 45 or 49 and 1 being 1, like the difference between 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock which is 1 hour. After that the distances or differences could be sorted in ascending order, and statistics regarding the minimal and maximal value for each of the six possible differences calculated. Subsequently, values in the package could be compared with appropriate values in the winning lines history and if they never occurred in the history of game, they could be filtered out.

sounds like a rather confusing concept that would be difficult to describe.
but it could be implemented as a new 'experimental' stats module i guess. then you can invoke the filter directly from the table
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby stan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:04 am

[quote=Jerzy]
When I put into the Package all winning lines from the game history and open Package Statistics, the data pertaining to the Sums, Differences, StDev(diff), WNH Odd/Even are entirely different from the respective values presented in the WNH History tables, even though in both places, as a basis for calculating statistics, there are the same winning lines, arranged in the same order.

If it is normal, please explain why.
[/quote]

yes, this is expected behavior (it's been discussed here before). first you must realize that when a winning numbers ticket is loaded into the package it loses all it's draw date related information, it's just another combination of e.g. six numbers.
the algorithm for calculating the wn history values in the statistics page is:
Code: Select all
for each [i]ticket[/i] in the package do
   - add package [i]ticket [/i]numbers to the end of the complete winning numbers database as if those numbers were drawn in the next draw
   - calculate the wn history sum values
   - remove the package [i]ticket [/i]from winning numbers database
end
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Number Distance Filter

Postby Jerzy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:38 am

Hi Stan,

The problem does not seem to be related to any particular ticket.

How I test Number Distance Filter?

I generate into the package all 8145060 combinations that are possible to generate for 6/45 lotto game.

I access the filter and select "Check that 1 to 5 neighboring positions have distance 1 to 25". Matching Tickets: Leave.

This way I want to get in the package only the combinations which have differences at least 1 and at most 25, and reject all combinations with differences greater than 25 at any position within any combination. I understand the filter should function as it is described in the Help file.

I click OK. The software creates backup and filters the package.

Result: 8145060 tickets left in the package, 0 tickets filtered out.

If I enter 2 to 25 instead of 1 to 25 with Matching Ticket - only 640 tickets will be filtered out from more than 8 million.

This does not worry me much, the Number Distance filter, which is accessible from Statistics works fine, but I feel I should report this to you.

Thank you for your help.

Jerzy
Jerzy

Postby stan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:14 am

[quote=Jerzy]
I generate into the package all 8145060 combinations that are possible to generate for 6/45 lotto game.

I access the filter and select "Check that 1 to 5 neighboring positions have distance 1 to 25". Matching Tickets: Leave.

This way I want to get in the package only the combinations which have differences at least 1 and at most 25, and reject all combinations with differences greater than 25 at any position within any combination. I understand the filter should function as it is described in the Help file.

I click OK. The software creates backup and filters the package.

Result: 8145060 tickets left in the package, 0 tickets filtered out.
[/quote]
i think this is correct. in this case the filter condition can also be expressed as 'remove all tickets that have distance greater than 25 for all neighboring positions' - and there are no such combinations in a 6/45 game
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Distances in a lotto ticket

Postby Jerzy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:55 pm

Hi Stan,

I am sorry, Stan. With great respect to you, I have to say there are distances larger than 25 in the full package of 8145060 tickets for the 6/45 game. The largest possible distance is 40 ((total numbers used in the game - (number of balls drawn - 1)). For example, at each of the five positions, the number of tickets with the distance of 26 is 11628, and there is only 1 ticket with the distance of 40 at each position.

The tickets which contain the distance of more than 25 constitute approximately 2.0% of all possible tickets. They are rare. Moreover, tickets with some of those distances were never drawn in the 21 year history of the game. For these reasons such tickets are good candidates to be filtered out.

Best regards

Jerzy
Jerzy

Postby stan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:10 pm

sure there are distances larger than 25 but there's no such ticket that have this distance for *all* of its neighboring positions. and that's what your filter settings (1-5 neighbors, distances 1 to 25) are trying to filter out
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Postby Jerzy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:05 pm

OK Stan.

The filter says "Check that numbers at 1 to 5 neighboring positions have distance of ...", not "Check that numbers at all neighboring positions have distance of ...". I misunderstood this instruction I expected the filter to have a different action.

If the filter can remove from the package the tickets with 5 identical distances it can be very useful. I also notice that it can be set to "at 1 to 1 neighboring positions".

Thank you for your help.

Jerzy
Jerzy

Postby stan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:02 pm

[quote=Jerzy]
The filter says "Check that numbers at 1 to 5 neighboring positions have distance of ...", not "Check that numbers at all neighboring positions have distance of ...". I misunderstood this instruction I expected the filter to have a different action.
[/quote]
well, it does work as it says but if you think about it all tickets will meet the filter conditions. because each ticket will have at least 1 and at most 5 neighbors with the distance of 1 to 25. only tickets that have distance greater than 25 at all 5 neighboring positions wouldn't pass but there aren't any in a 6/45 lottery.
Expert Lotto Team
stan
Site Admin

Return to Comments, suggestions, features requests